A project of the Death with Dignity National Center, California Death with Dignity provides information and education about the California End of Life Option Act.
…is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that
- expands the freedom of all qualified terminally ill Americans to make their own end-of-life decisions, including how they die;
- promotes Death with Dignity laws around the United States based on the groundbreaking Oregon model;
- provides information, education, and support about Death with Dignity as an end-of-life option to patients, family members, legislators, advocates, healthcare and end-of-life care professionals, media, and the interested public.
…is a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization that acts as the political arm of the National Center. The Fund
- drafts Death with Dignity laws based on the Oregon model;
- campaigns, lobbies, and advocates for Death with Dignity legislation in the 46 states that lack them;
- defends Death with Dignity Acts against challenges.
We authored, passed, and defended the Oregon law (1994/1997/2006); spearheaded the successful efforts to pass Death with Dignity statutes in Washington (2008), Vermont (2013), and California (2015); and led the Maine (2000), Hawaii (2002), and Massachusetts (2012) campaigns, which were all defeated only by narrow margins.
Death with Dignity National Center and Death with Dignity Political Fund were instrumental in the passage of the California End of Life Option Act.